Marking Exams and Essays

I am not the only person who has to mark exams and essays.
Sometimes it's hard.
I remember that time I saw my friend. Most of him was buried in scripts, only the nose poked out and twitched in regret.
"Please don't tell them," he cried. "I want them to think I enjoy reading them."
I felt I had to stay in that room, with those scripts, with the smell of fear on every page, but my friend shouted: "Run!" And I ran down the stairs, as the scripts landed beside me.
Anyway, I try to make it easier. I try to understand the enormity of the time and pressure that went into composing the text that I have to read and assess in 15 minutes. So I draw them, those students, sometimes nameless, sometimes not. The doodles help me connect with them, and then the correcting is a bit easier.

Here they are, my lovely students:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned from Publishing a Paperback with Amazon

A Poem in Honour of the Creatures by Monique

Road not-taken