Books and E-Books: Upside Down Ideas about Marketing and Pricing

Publishing

I brought out a book, Creatures Give Advice.
My book is all about meeting wonderful people on twitter and us having a bit of a giggle on the sly while doing our real work.
If you buy it, I will feel awfully excited.
I'd love to hear from you when you read it, and I'd love to feature your question in the next book.
(To be fair, the book is more about questions than advice).


Pricing: the Lumpfish Strategy

In The Fish Can Sing, Halldor Laxness has a character who sells lumpfish. Winter or summer, regardless of the supply, the price stays the same.  This is the kind of loyalty to one's own labour and to one's customers that I'd like to emulate.

I priced the ebook and the paperbook taking into account how much my readers would be able to pay, how much effort I put into the book, and the sufficient amount to give me a jolt of dopamine with every purchase.

After that, the price will remain the same. I can't do special prices as this would disadvantage the people I am particularly grateful to, those who bought the book when it first came out.

Authors perusing their own books as they wait for readers


Marketing 

I want to market my book so I can get that jolt of happiness plus money for coffee and other people's books. But I want to market it fabulously.

Besides, I do not want to offend the Creatures by aggressive marketing. So, I am marketing it slowly, by letting out occasional bubbles of excitement.

I want to market my book in such a way that the marketing becomes an extension of the fun of putting it together. I want to market it through more doodles and sly interactions. The launch is scheduled for 26-28 April, and the plan is to market the book through merriment and whimsy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Poem in Honour of the Creatures by Monique

Road not-taken

What I learned from Publishing a Paperback with Amazon