They said it wasn’t safe










They said it wasn’t safe
The water in the lake was black, even on sunny days, and there were devils. They are different from fish: if the poison spreads, they can dive to the bottom and hide, or they can wrap their belongings in bits of cloth and seaweed, dig into the earth and move to a safer country. But on that day, they floated close to the surface, and Natasha and I floated above them on big logs. There must have been a sawmill nearby, because there was a hoard of logs just where the river entered the lake. We ferried the sun on our backs across the dark water.
My dog’s head was like a seal’s; she panted and chewed on small fish. Natasha’s log drifted beside me, and we talked slowly the way you do in water. Our bellies were hidden by the warm logs, so to the devils we looked like tree creatures with splashing legs. They didn’t mind us. In June, they lure particles of light and gather them in old cans. I let go of the log and dove in, and their gossiping was around me like echoes of huge frogs, and, trapped in the seaweed below, were limp things that beckoned.
I pulled out the first shimmering one and called for Natasha to join me. We dragged them onto the shore, leaving the dog, the devils, and the logs to their own business. We lay them out: a few arms, three legs, other bits, all shivery, in what little space was left beside the nettles. We crouched next to them, stripped the tinfoil off our sandwiches, and waited for a small cloud to pass. The dog came sniffing and we patted her and threw her a stick to get her go back into the lake.
 ‘What do you think they are?’ My hands were all muddy from that stick and I wiped them on the towel.
 ‘Might be men’, she said ‘they’re big’.
If it was someone else, they’d giggle, and make some joke about my future husband, but Natasha just tossed the last of her crumbs into the water for the waiting fish. Mayflies came and hovered above the limbs. And I said: ‘Shall we try for eyes?’
Eyes are hard. They dig themselves into the sand underneath or float mid-lake in an air bubble, but if you try to touch them, they dart off. Natasha said she’d stay put. There was that cloud again. The cold water was after me. Every step was a shiver. First the rocks, then the slurpy ooze. I slipped, fell head first, swallowed the dark water, and there they were: frog-green, laughing, and beyond the laughter, my whole bag of sadness, and beyond my sadness, a white-washed room. I splashed after them, ran, dove in again, shouted. Next thing, I was sprawled on my back in the mud, my dog was barking, Natasha was laughing on the shore, and the eyes were long gone.
It got a bit cold, and the clouds were coming in, and they’d be worried we got kidnapped or something, so I put the heavy limbs back into the water where they wriggled with a forgotten kind of life and swam away.


By @Roppotucha Greenberg
Originally Published in Turnpike Mag 6. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned from Publishing a Paperback with Amazon

Road not-taken

A Poem in Honour of the Creatures by Monique